MUBC is a fun place to play basketball, and party!
As one of Australia's largest senior domestic basketball clubs, MUBC offers opportunities to pursue an elite or casual playing career in a non-junior program alongside a social calendar where you can meet likeminded people.
As a university basketball club, there are numerous eligibility clauses in regard to membership. Go to the Join the Club page and select your current status such as being a student, alumni etc to determine if you are eligible.
Our annual fee is $70 for students and $130 for non-students to cover insurance, team entries, court hire etc. For summer season signups after August 1st, that fee is reduced to $40 for students and $70 for non-students. Note that if you are placed in a MUBC team, you will also need to pay weekly match fees for each game to the competition organisers as described below.
Before joining the club, we encourage prospective members to 'come and try' two or three Saturday morning training sessions upstairs at the Melbourne Uni Sports Center on Saturday mornings. New members, male or female should attend the 9am-11am session.
After trying training for a few weeks, in order to continue training, a non-refundable membership is required and you can purchase one now using the 'Join the Club' button above.
Amongst other things, your membership fee covers:
* Player Insurance - in case you are hurt during an MUBC training or game
* Team Registration - registration of your team in a weekly competition (if you are selected in a team)
* Court Hire - Saturday training sessions at Melbourne Uni
* Discounted gym membership - The MU 'Clubfit program' is available to MUBC members offering a $300-485 annual discount to the gym, pool and group fitness
* Social Events - Our annual welcome bbq, trivia night, presentation night and christmas bbq events are subsidised by these fees. Check our event calendar for more details.
These fees do not cover your uniform or game fees which are additional costs
* Uniform (mandatory, once-off) - $70 for a singlet & shorts (click here)
* Game night entry fee (mandatory, weekly) - $10 for Sunday Night games, $11 for Tuesday night games, ~$14 for Thursday night games
* Dry-fit warmup top (optional, once-off click here) - $30
* Hooded Jumper (optional, once-off click here) - $55
With regard to being able to play on an MUBC team, our season and tryout dates are as follows:
Winter season: April - September
* Winter season tryouts are held at Saturday trainings throughout March
* Winter season teams are announced at our annual welcome bbq after training in early-mid April
Summer season: October - April (no games from mid december - early january)
* Summer season tryouts are held at Saturday trainings throughout September
In order to be placed on an MUBC team, you are required to be reliably and consistently available to attend your games every week throughout the season and you will also need to attend training on Saturdays.
For international Melbourne University students who are temporarily in Melbourne for a single semester and who will not be able to commit to a whole season, a membership will entititle you to participate in our weekly trainings but it's less likely we will be able to select you for a team if you will not be available to attend all games for the season. We are considering ways we can improve basketball opportunities for international students and encourage anyone who is interested in helping out to approach our committee.
Big V players have a different fee structure which involves a normal MUBC membership plus an additional sponsorship fee but no weekly game fee. Big V tryouts will typically be announced on the Big V website later in the year (eg. November).
If you need more information on joining MUBC, please get in touch with our domestic player representatives:
Men - James Shaw - email@example.com
Women - Mithali Mithali - firstname.lastname@example.org